What Makes a Waste Hazardous?
The following describes questions you should be concerned with in reference to classifying a substance or material as a “HAZARDOUS WASTE”.
Is it corrosive?
- pH less than or equal to 2
- pH greater than or equal to 12.5
- It is a liquid and corrodes steel at a rate greater than .250″ per year at a temperature of 130 degrees F.
- It is not aqueous and when mixed with an equivalent weight of water, produces a solution having a pH less than or equal to 2 or greater than or equal to 12.5
- It is not a liquid and when mixed with an equivalent weight of water, produces a liquid that corrodes steel at a rate greater than.250″ year at a temperature of 130 degrees F.
Is it reactive?
- It is normally unstable and readily undergoes violent change without detonating.
- Reacts violently with water
- It forms potentially explosive mixtures with water
- When mixed with water, it generates toxic gases, vapors or fumes on a quantity sufficient to present a danger to human health or the environment.
- Contains enough cyanide or sulfide to react with a pH between 2 and 12.5 and generate toxic gases, vapors and fumes in a quantity sufficient to present a danger to human health or the environment.
- Is capable of detonation or explosive reaction if it is subjected to a strong initiating source or heated under confinement.
- It is readily capable of detonation or explosive decomposition or reaction at standard temperature or pressure.
- It is a forbidden explosive per 49CFR Sec. 173.51, Class A explosive per 49 CFR Sec. 173.53 of Class B explosive per 40 CFR sec. 173.88.
Is it ignitable?
- A liquid other than an aqueous solution containing less that 24% alcohol and has a flash point less that 140 degrees F.
- It is not a liquid and is capable under standard temperature and pressure of causing a fire through friction, absorption of moisture or spontaneous chemical changes and when ignited burns so vigorously and persistently that it creates a hazard.
- Ignitable compressed gas Oxidizer as defined in 49 CFR 173.151